Environmental Management ofAttabadLakethrough Participatory Mechanisms and Actions
Donors / Sponsors :
Agha Khan Development Network (AKDN) / AKRSP
Geographical Coverage :
Hunza – Gilgit-Baltistan
- Community based environmental management of theAttabadLakefor conservation of agro-ecological system
- Safeguarding the existing aquifer and promoting responsible eco-tourism
- Conservation ofAttabadLakethrough participatory environmental management
- To mobilize and facilitate the local administration in reducing, managing and monitoring pollution level of theAttabadLakeas well as catchment areas
- Organizing media advocacy campaign to involve the residents of catchment areas in the planning and development process for conservation and environmental management ofLake
- Conservation of the lake through environmental management with focus on adaptation and mitigation measures
Proposed Activities :
- Survey of the area to collect base line information
- Meetings with the relevant stakeholders
- Literature review based on historical records of environmental patterns
- Identifying the important issues related to water conservation and deforestation that need to be understood and addressed by the government and policymakers
- Identification, demarcation and mapping of the lake as well as catchment area with loads of wastes being accumulated
- Mass awareness raising, social mobilization & media advocacy
- Preparation of video documentary and outline maps of the site to determine initial situation.
- Getting chemical analysis of lake water and soil from lab
- Assessment of the amount of solid and liquid wastes generated and being dumped in the lake by the tourists and local communities
- Development of Training Modules on conservation, management and mitigation aspects
- Capacity building of local communities, relevant stakeholders, local administration, tourists, security guards, watchmen as well as sweepers, etc.
- Preparation of awareness brochures, leaflets and posters for stakeholders
- Facilitation to local administration in establishment of waste treatment facility as well as its management by the involvement of communities
- Assignment of the specific areas to relevant communities for pollution prevention and management on self-help basis with the view to promote eco-tourism
- Establishing the system to manage wastes
- Reforestation, raising fruit orchards and vegetable crops on specific sites in the catchments
- Development of a monitoring mechanism for the activities
- Reporting and documentation
Expected Outputs :
- The volume of water would remain at optimal level inAttabadLake.
- The water pollution of the lake will decrease up to 98%.
- People will be more aware of the importance of forests and conservation of water resources and avoid cutting of trees.
- Awareness campaigns at different levels will result in plantation of more trees and reduction of deforestation in the catchments.
- The diseases that develop from contaminated water would reduce.
- Tourists would take great care for conservation of environment around theLake.
- The status of cleanliness would improve.
- Fruit orchards and vegetable crops will be established along the lake.
- This project will be a foundation stone for conservation of water resources at the local level.
- The local community would get pure irrigation as well as drinking water.
- The management arrangements of local administration would improve.
- Government will be able to overcome the ongoing water pollution of theAttabadLake.
2016 Copyright ECI-Networks All rights are reserved.
Conserving Natural Resource Base and Promoting Human Development through Sharing Knowledge, Exchanging Practices and Co-creating Future